TT2000 Tips

Route

Always plan in a couple of extra checkpoints to get the required points.  That way if you miss a checkpoint or have to change routes because of road closure etc. you'll not have to re-plan on the fly.  

If using a GPS that supports multiple point routes, it's actually better to set it up with lots of single routes just from one checkpoint to another.  That way there is no way you'll accidently ride past one and not notice.  I did exactly that in the dark and only realised when I went to add up my score at the end, fortunately I had included some extra checkpoints.

Don't just go for the fastest route, look for roads you'll enjoy riding, after all that's what it's really about. e.g. I try to avoid SH1 Christchurch to Ashburton:-)

Research

It's worth checking out the NZTA traffic map a few days before the event to make sure there's no road closures etc. that affect your route.

Once you have your route planned, scout out junctions and checkpoints you're not familiar with on Google Street view.  

I do rides before the event to visit the checkpoints and try out my route, it's a good excuse for a ride if nothing else:-) If you've decided to do the mysterious rider part of the event then these rides can often reveal where those mystery checkpoints are as well.

Checkpoints

When you stop at a checkpoint you'll need to:

  • Get your TT2000 t-shirt out and put it on the bike or checkpoint
  • Get your camera/phone out
  • Take a photo of your bike, the t-shirt and the checkpoint
  • Put everything away
  • Select the next checkpoint on your GPS etc
  • Have a drink, adding removing layers etc.

None of that sounds particularly difficult but the trick is to do everything smoothly so:

  • You don't waste any time
  • Don't lose/forget something

Practice makes perfect

Imagine if you take 5 minutes at each checkpoint, it doesn't sound like a lot of time, but over say 36 checkpoints that's 3h in total.  If you cut that down to under 2 minutes you've got two extra hours that can be used for longer breaks every few checkpoints, or a longer sleep at night.

The trick is to practice checkpoint stops before the event so you can do them smoothly.  Don't just do this in the garage, go out and do it for real.  Create a route for yourself with a few chosen checkpoints and use that to practice.

You'll also find doing this make you realise what works best for you when it comes to setup and equipment.  For example, I found having a camera was a lot better/faster than trying to use a phone, particularly because I didn't have to take my gloves off to use it.  On my RS I kept the t-shirt and camera in a tank bag, on the F3 the right pannier worked better.

Some of my checkpoints can seem like formula 1 pitstops:-)

Checkpoint photos

There are no awards for the quality of the photo, but it is important to match what you're taking with the guide and to make sure it's clear.  For example the checkpoints in 2022 were schools.  Many of the schools had more than one sign, entrance etc.  Get the wrong one or have a photo that's too blurry to distinguish and your checkpoint may be disallowed when checked by the organisers.

The GPS locations for the checkpoints the guide are not the exact locations for the photos so again its worth doing your research by visiting the checkpoints beforehand or using Google Street View to scout them out.

It's worth having printouts of the guide photos with you so you can compare them.  I put mine in an old GPS holder so I can see them easily when riding.

Night time

Many of the checkpoints are at out of the way places so if you're visiting them at night there's probably not going to be street lighting etc.  Light up the checkpoint as best you can with your lights and put your t-shirt so its lit as well.  I disable the flash on my camera as I find that works better.

Again, this is something that's worth practicing before the event to see what works best with your camera/phone.  I also carry a small torch.

Pacing yourself

It's not a race, it's an endurance event.  If you push yourself to go too fast, then you'll get too tired.  It's about smoothness and overall pace, hence the comments about checkpoints earlier as they are the key time saver rather than going hell for leather.

There is plenty of time in the 48 hours to do the minimum 2000km/points and still take breaks and have a couple of good sleeps.  If you don't want to ride in the dark there's no reason to do so, if you prefer riding in the dark that's easy to plan as well - though your possum kill count will probably go up, I've taken out 3 so far on TT's.

The first TT I did I was so worried about completing it in time I ended up hitting the 2000km/pointmark at 9pm on the Saturday, 15 hours before the end of the event.  Learnt my lesson that time and now always make sure I still have some checkpoints to do on the Sunday morning.

Start and Finish

The start and finish points tend to move around each year.  Sometimes they are in the same place, other times not.  If the starts not near home, then it's worth booking the accommodation well in advance because a lot of other people will be doing the same thing.

Start

The start is at midday on the Friday but before that you have to register when you arrive and there is a briefing, so you need to turn up at least half an hour before that.  Personally, I'm there at least an hour before as its great watching the bikes roll in, chat to other riders, etc.

The big thing to remember is to take a photo of your speedo before you start, its surprisingly easy to forget for some reason.

Finish

The official finish is by midday on the Sunday.  I plan my route to arrive around 11am to give myself a bit of lee way so I'm not rushing the last bit if delayed.  If you miss the midday deadline your ride still counts as far as getting your badge etc. so don't panic if you're not going to make it in time.

At the finish you need to take another photo of your speedo, fill out your score card, and upload your checkpoint photos.  There are computers there for uploading though you will need to bring a cable to connect your camera/phone or a usb card reader.

Petrol

Include your petrol stops when planning your route, particularly for the night-time sections. In the last couple of years, the number of 24-hour card pumps at petrol stations has improved, but with the back road nature of some checkpoints planning is still needed.

It's also possible that the petrol station you planned to stop at isn't working.  This happened to me in Westport one TT when the card reader wasn't working, and I didn't have enough fuel in my spare to get to the next nearest. I ended up having to stay in Westport until the next morning when the staff turned up.

I always carry spare petrol with me.  I started with a 5 litre spare can, but now have an 8 litre  fuel bag.  On the RS I ended up fitting an aux tank but not bothered with that on the F3 yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TT2000 2019

Fitting Keith Mainland's belt guard on an F3 LTD